Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So last Friday I decided to take my first try at the Limited Supplies Challenge, which is hosted each Friday by Jen70 on Splitcoast. Jen has now created her own "Super Saturday Challenge" which she hosts on her blog, so you can check that out too!

This covers Friday's Limited Supplies Challenge, which was to use an old sketch challenge and old color combination challenge, along with two sets I haven't inked in awhile along with embellishments I haven't used in awhile. Well, this really made me research past challenges and it took me all day to get this the way I liked it! I used SC21 and CC37 . For the color challenge, it was supposed to be always artichoke and sahara sand with an option for bravo burgundy. Well, I went heavy on the BB and pretty doggone light with the AA. Oh well! I can't even remember the last time I used my BB ribbon...and those AA brads have NEVER been used! Almost every image on the card has been clear embossed, and I debated on adding Crystal Effects to the stars by the sentiment...but figured I was going a little too crazy at that point. Note to all those Craft Ink novices: that stuff does NOT dry fast!!! I had this completely finished and grabbed it to cut the corners, and man!! I had ink EVERYWHERE! I had to scrap it and do it again. Hence why it took me all day!! :-)
So I do like how it turned out...mostly. You can barely see the embossed "Weathered" background, which is on the main piece of burgundy cardstock. And frankly, I would have loved to scrap the piece of always artichoke and put another piece of burgundy as the base for the sentiment...but I had to include artichoke somewhere!! hee hee. This gave me a chance to really use a ton of embossing powder, which I always forget to use, and a chance to use the retired, but still adored, Holiday Wishes set, which was one of the first sets I purchased as a Stampin' Up customer two years ago (along with the Loads of Love kit...do you remember those kits?? They were GREAT!!).
Stampin' Supplies (All Stampin' Up):
Stamps: It's Snow Time, Holiday Wishes (retired), Weathered Background
Paper: Bravo Burgundy, Always Artichoke, Sahara Sand
Inks: Bravo Burgundy, Always Artichoke craft ink, Versamark
Accessories: Ticket Corner Punch, Dimensionals, Rich Regals Brads, Clear Embossing Powder, Burgundy grosgrain, Cream Organdy ribbon (retired)
Anyway, this card has definitely put me in a Christmas mood. Jason and I were trying to get a vacation to Germany over Christmas, but the resort we wanted is completely booked, and has been since February. We tried again to see if we could get a week in October when I'm on half term, and they are booked solid again. Now the only options we have are a week in February or a week at the end of March/early April when I'm on holiday again. I would have loved to go at Thanksgiving...but I'll actually still be working. Boo hoo!! So now we don't know what we're doing for Christmas. We were both really hoping we'd be able to go to Germany. We have friends who want us to stay here, both sets of families want us to visit them (in Ohio and Florida), and I only have two weeks off. It simply isn't plausible, or inexpensive, for it to happen. And in the end, someone is just going to be pissed off. I can understand why there are people who simply refuse to travel at Christmas...by saying you're staying put, make everyone travel to you. Of course, no one travels to us...at Christmas anyway. I guess I better get used to it.

No comments: